Will my router work with Neato? How do I find out?
Botvac Connected series robots use Wi-Fi to connect to the internet and talk to Neato servers. There are two frequency bands commonly used for Wi-Fi communication: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. With the exception of the Botvac Connected D7 which can connect to both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands all other Botvac Connected Robots can only connect to and use the 2.4 GHz band..
The following will help you confirm if your wireless router works with your Neato robot.
- Depending on the Wi-Fi router model, there are a couple of different ways to tell if your router is dual band. The best way is to look up your router’s model on the manufacturer’s website. Some wireless routers even have dual band written on the router itself or on the packaging that it came in.
- Another way to tell, is to look at your Wi-Fi network’s name (SSID). Your Wi-Fi router may be broadcasting two networks, with different names to indicate the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. This is a good sign that you have a dual band router. Each router will name the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands differently, but you can generally tell just by looking. For instance, the 5 GHz network may have 5, 5G, or 5GHz as part of its name. The other may have 2, 2.4G or 2.4GHz as part of its name. So if you’ve named your Wi-Fi network “Home”, you might see Home5 and Home2 in the list of available wireless networks.
- It’s also possible that your router is a dual band wireless router that is currently set to broadcast only in one band, meaning that you will only see one network name. Seeing one network name doesn’t necessarily mean that your router isn’t dual band. You need to check your router’s manual or the support section of their web site to be sure.
- If your router is dual band, the manual or manufacturers web site will have instructions for how to set it to broadcast on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.
- Your internet service provider can normally to assist you with configuring your router. Request a dedicated 2.4GHz network without any special characters in the WiFi name or password.
NOTE: For best results Neato recommends connecting your Botvac Connected D7 robot to a 2.4 GHz band as it provides the widest coverage to reach all corners of your home.